The Fishing River Running Club is a group for everyone, non-runners and novice runners and avid athletes, in the Excelsior Springs and Kearney areas. We meet at the local Anytime Fitness (you DON’T have to be a member!) to run together every Wednesday at 6 p.m. We often meet on Saturday morning, too, for a long run at various spots around town. We’d like to launch a running group in Kearney as well, so let us know if you’re interested.
The Fishing River Running Club is the local chapter of the Road Runners Club of America. Our mission is to build a network within the Excelsior Springs/Kearney community where runners can train with others and provide a forum to discuss running techniques, goals and accomplishments. Have fun, get fit, and make new friends!
In 2015, the Fishing River Running Club made great strides (pun intended!). Among our accomplishments:
• Officially became the local chapter of the Road Runners Club of America, encompassing the Excelsior Springs and Kearney areas. RRCA membership provides some great advantages for our running club, such as liability insurance coverage for our group runs and race events.
• Organized two local events, the Tortoise & Hare 5K (a benefit for The Good Samaritan Center) and the Waterfest 5K (which raised $1,000 for the Excelsior Springs Educational Foundation). We will repeat those events in 2016, and hope to add more.
• Participated as “reindeer” for Santa’s sleigh in the Christmas parade and decorated a tree in the Hall of Trees sponsored by the Excelsior Springs Christmas Committee (thanks, Sarah!).
• Our club website got a new address so that it’s easier to find online.
• Best of all, we continued to make new running friends and to encourage one another to be fit, healthy and happy!
We want to continue to be involved in our community and make an even greater impact.
Membership in the Fishing River Running Club is an annual $25 registration. New members receive a technical shirt emblazoned with the club’s logo. Join us for a run (or two) to see if this group is a good fit for you.
Become a member now!
You’re also welcome to join the Fishing River Running Club group on Facebook!
Thanks to Anytime Fitness for providing a place to meet (with restrooms and a water fountain!), not to mention our very fashionable shirts.
The Standard newspaper published an article about our running club when we launched in October 2013. The original article isn’t available online, but it’s posted at Run Faster Run Farther: Fun! Fitness! Friends!
Photo by Kevin Morgan: Superior well and pagoda from Fishing River Park in Excelsior Springs, Mo.